Saturday, May 9, 2009

Making Picture Pendant Jewelry

I added a polymer clay frame to this pendant, along with a Swarovsky crystal pearl and a little bead cap. Now days, I usually add a jump ring as well, so a chain or cord can slide right through.
It's important to match the color of the crystals, beads, and eye pins to the colors in the picture. Otherwise the whole piece looks "slammed together" instead of created together.

A bead or charm can be added at the bottom also by very carefully drilling a hole in the clay along the bottom and attaching an eye pin. Open the eye pin gently just enough to insert the loop of the charm and then close it again so it can't slip out.

In order to get the pieces color coordinated beforehand, I lay them out on my workbench in the order of attachment. That way I can try out different crystals, beads, eye pin, and the chain or cord colors before putting them all together. There are less oops with this method. Plus, I usually come up with more ideas for future pieces while I am picking out the pieces for the one I am working on.

A word about Swarovsky crystals and pearls: wonderful! The shine and sparkle is like no other. It adds class to whatever polymer clay jewelry you are creating. It can get pricey though. I usually get mine from http://www.artbeads.com/ - I like their product quality, free shipping, and quick mailing.

Eye pins I usually get from http://www.craftsetc.com/ - I like the kind with a big "eye". Just easier to work with, but harder to find. It's best not to work the eye pin too much. Or perhaps I should say not more than once. Opening and closing the eye, weakens it. It is best to just open the eye a wee bit and close it gently with needle nose pliers after the charm is inserted. Some jewelry makers use the plastic coated pliers, but I prefer the needle nose pliers.

So, jazz up that picture pendant jewelry with crystals, pearls, and bead caps. The extra work involved pays off and you'll be glad you did!

No comments: